Sunday, August 2, 2009

Challenge: Say NO to High Fructose Corn Syrup



I have to vent a bit about labeling on food products. For some reason today I was craving orange. I had a serving of Orange Fanta... and then while blogging a Minute Maid Orange Juice Bar. My tiff is that BOTH of these packages say they are made with "all natural" ingredients. Since when is High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) natural? It does not grow from the earth... it's man-made! WHY can't Minute Maid make a 100% orange juice frozen Popsicle? Real juice is all I'm asking for. And Fanta ... don't claim it's 100% natural. HFCS, Yellow 5 and Red 40 are not real natural foods. Really this rant should be directed to Coca-Cola since they make both of these products. I should have just had a real orange!!! The juice bar was orange "flavored" yet made with apple juice concentrate???



Labels are deceiving. I know better... these products are not good for me, but every now and then it won't kill me. But the general public may not even fully read or understand the label. Now some may think HFCS is good for them! This stuff is in everything. As FOOD, INC. explained 90% of the products in grocery stores are corn-derived. (Meaning mostly all will have HFCS or other corn byproducts.)

If you're curious about corn, check out the movie King Corn. It will explain a lot!




Challenge this... can you go 7 days without eating HTFC?

Starting tomorrow I'm taking this challenge and running with it. Stay tuned for updates!

No comments: